Special Accommodations

Americans With Disabilities Act

People with ADHD can qualify for special accommodations under the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA). According to the ADA, a person is defined as disabled if he or she:

  • has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities of such individual
  • has a record of such an impairment
  • is regarded as having such an impairment (as described below)
  • At the University of Mississippi, an undiagnosed student must go through a formal assessment to receive an ADHD diagnosis and to be eligible for a variety of services and accommodations.

For more information about how to qualify for those services, with or without a previous diagnosis of ADHD, contact Student Disability Services at 662-915-7128 or go to http://www.olemiss.edu/depts/sds/.

For more information about on-campus assessment services, consult the Psychological Assessment Clinic at 662-915-7253 or go to http://www.olemiss.edu/depts/psc/Assessments.php.

For more information about how the ADA applies to young adults with ADHD, visit the following sites:

Privacy Rights


The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) guards the adult patient’s privacy. Although college students may still be covered by their parents’ health insurance, if they’re 18 years or older, school and/or healthcare providers cannot release medical information to anyone, even parents, without the student’s consent. Some providers (such as Student Health Services at University of Mississippi) require written consent to release this information to third parties.

For more information about privacy policies, contact Student Health Services at 662-915-7274 or go to http://www.olemiss.edu/depts/stu_health/index.html for more information about privacy policies.

For more about HIPAA and its requirements, visit http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/consumers/index.html.


HIPAA’s privacy rights only extend to protect students’ health information by covered entities, or health care providers; whereas, students’ health service records (and related privacy rights) held by an institution may be considered education records, which then fall under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). These rules and rights may be further modified by state law, so researching the Student Health Services at a particular institution may be the best source of information for these student-related legal issues.

For more information about FERPA, see the Office of the Registrar at 662-915-7792 or go to: http://www.olemiss.edu/depts/registrar/ferpa.html.

For more about FERPA and its requirements, visit: http://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/index.html.